RCG Recipes- Elk Meatloaf
Growing up, I absolutely hated meatloaf! As an adult, it’s one of my favorite meals. It’s easy to make, not terrible for you, and quite tasty. When making it, I typically just add ingredients, so below are estimates…adjust spices for your personal taste!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1.5 hours Servings: 6 (depending on how thick you slice it)
• 2 lbs elk burger (can substitute venison)
• 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Pinch ground thyme
• 1 tsp sage
• 2 tsp rosemary
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere’s)
• 1/4 cup ketchup (alternate: use half ketchup and half barbeque sauce) + additional ketchup for topping
Tip: When we grind our elk burger, we mix beef fat in to make it approximately 80/20. This helps ensure the burger will be juicy and retain its flavor.
• Preheat oven to 350
• Mix all ingredients in large bowl
• Spray oven-safe dish with non-stick spray; I use a 10” oval dish but you can use whatever dish you have available • Form meat mixture into loaf and place in pan; cover with aluminum foil
• Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes
• Remove from oven, top with ketchup and place back in oven uncovered under broiler for 10-15 minutes (careful not to burn) • Remove from oven, slice and serve with your favorite sides!
Tip: Cook in the crockpot instead! Place meatloaf in crock and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Perfect to prep before work and come home to dinner!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Sarah Honadel is an avid outdoorswoman from Kentucky, living in Idaho, who enjoys hunting turkey, deer and elk. She is a Team Member at Huntress View and Brand Champion for ReelCamo Girl, two organizations that work to support, encourage and empower women in the outdoors. Follow her on Instagram @waddysarah and @arrowridgecreations.
ReelCamo Girl is a lifestyle brand focused on ladies who love the outdoors.There is a growing need for a place for women to share their outdoor experiences, as well as an interest in clean eating and self-sufficiency. Through our website and social media networks, we offer a safe place where the ladies can share their pictures, stories, wild game and fish recipes, and news articles about conservation and hunting perspectives.
ReelCamo girls are strong, capable, kind, compassionate, nature & country-loving individuals. We encourage responsible and ethical hunting. We care about the land and wildlife management and about long term sustainability. We hunt, fish, dive, shoot and hike…for peace of mind, happiness, pure clean protein & connection to the outdoors. ReelCamoGirls can shoot a gun, draw a bow, track an animal, get CAMOed up, bait a hook, clean a fish and still be feminine.