Bluefin Poke Recipe Review
Love a tender, delicate piece of tuna sushi or sashimi? You may be enjoying a piece of Bluefin tuna, which is used almost exclusively for sushi dishes.
I recently went on a day and a half, overnight, Bluefin Tuna fishing trip with my husband. We brought back 6 fish and filled the freezer with over 130 lbs of packaged, flash frozen, Bluefin Yummo! I suggest that if you go on a charter and catch fish that you wish to keep fresh, have it professionally packaged into small bags and flash freeze.
Flash freezing is an accelerated process in which fish are frozen within hours after they have been caught. This locks in the nutrition, texture, moisture and flavor. it is blasted with extremely cold air - 60 below zero, or colder which perfectly preserves it.
With so much fish I wanted to find some different ways to prepare it. I found the following recipe on Food.com
- 2lbs fresh ahi tuna
- 1small round onion, julienne cut (Maui Onions preferred)
- 3green onions, diced
- 1⁄2teaspoon freshly gratedfresh ginger
- 3finely diced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2cup soy sauce
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon Chinese chili sauce (Rooster Brand)
- 1teaspoon hawaiian sea saltor 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut Ahi into at least 1/2" cubes - set aside & refrigerate.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large glass bowl & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve toss Ahi and other ingredients together.
- Serve on chilled platter with chopsticks or toothpicks.
I the recipe was quick and easy to prepare. The directions were simple to follow and the ingredients were readily available at any grocery store. However I found the that fish was somewhat drowning in the "sauce." Bluefin Tuna is so tasty by itself that the salt content in the mixture was somewhat overwhelming. If I try this recipe again I would definitely use less soy sauce (or perhaps lite soy sauce) and there is no need to add any additional salt. Besides the saltiness, the mixture of other ingredients worked very well.
I cannot wait to try to next Bluefun concoction. Stay tuned!