HOW TO tips
This is another one of those "must haves" in your fly box. Quick and easy to tie, the Griffith's Gnat can imitate many of those tiny midges you see emerging or buzzing on the surface of the water (you know, the ones that like to get in your face, mouth, nose and ears ). From looking like a single insect to a cluster of them, the Griffith's Gnat can attract even the biggest trout.
Lefty Kreh is probably one of the most well known names in the fly fishing worked. He fished with celebrities and perfected the double hall. His fly, Lefty's Deceiver, was even celebrated as a US Postage stamp. He passed away March 14th, and in his honor I am going to demonstrate his signature fly.
It’s officially spring. Everything is coming to life again. The days are getting longer. And it means it’s turkey season…the most exciting time of the year! Hunters across the country are getting prepped to get back out into the woods after a couple months of downtown, decked out in camo and ready to bag a big ol’ tom.
Turkey Season is just almost here! Time to make sure you are ready!
- First off, freshwater fishing is less commitment; you can get there when you want and leave when you want (which for me is still before sunrise until after sundown :-P).
- Freshwater is also less expensive as you can shore fish if you'd like or possibly rent a boat if it's in your budget. Ocean fishing on a boat is more of an event, and unless you know someone with a boat, you'll need to save some money and plan a charter trip to get out there.
- The biggest difference for me and my area though, is that ocean fishing allows me to go after some really, really, big fish. To me, this is completely worth the cost and effort put into these trips! Who wouldn't want to fill their freezer with some giant yellowtail or some ahi?
Most spend multiple hours each week scouting before and during season to find the perfect spot putting them on the “X” for a successful hunt. Once the birds are found and patterned next comes down to having the right gear. A blind that can be blended in to match the surroundings and a decoy spread that is fitting for the size group you are trying to work. Lastly the hours put into practicing your duck call are crucial. Being able to turn heads and having birds decoy in provides the most ethical and successful hunt.
Listed below are a few tips for beginners learning how to call in order of increasing difficulty:
Here’s the best way to bait your hook using worms or night crawlers when fishing in fresh waters for recreation.
Keep your bait cool, be prepared to get your hands dirty and bring a knife.
Let’s gather some essential gear:
· Fishing License (purchased annually, online or at your local sporting goods stores and other places)
· Fishing rod (often referred to as a “pole”)
· Reel (the contraption that contains and releases the fishing line (string) weight& reel design is based on method and species your fishing
There are so many factors that hunters should account for when getting ready to take their shot, and ways that we can prepare before we ever step foot into the field.